[Scummvm-devel] PS2 #11 : user-friendliness : pre-named saved games : nice

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Mar 2 23:58:27 CET 2009

Am 02.03.2009 um 01:02 schrieb sunmax at libero.it:

> Most of the users don't have a USB kbd plugged into their PS2,
> it would be nice if we could provide some preformatted name
> for the games to be saved. We someway do it in some engines
> (eg. Scumm) when the user saves it blank, and a name is
> inserted ("Save 0", etc.) when we try to load them back.
>
> It would be nice to provide an option for consoles, where
> a standard name, with progressive numeration, date, etc.
> is provided when we want to save, without assuming the
> user is going to type anything.

I guess we could implement something like that for the GMM. For non-
GMM save dialogs, it would of course be engine specific.

Please file a feature request for this :-).

With our somewhat limited GUI, I guess the way to do it would be to
auto-fill in a name if the user left it blank. In a more advanced GUI,
I would indeed pre-populate the entry field with a default text, and
then make sure it is *selected*, so that if the user wants to use a
different name, he can just start typing.
But if we pre-populate in ScummVM, and I don't want to use the name, I
have to press backspace again and again and again... Well, whatever,
that's a detail :)

> As an important note, some games (notably simon2) cannot
> load the game back if you leave its name empty. So it's
> something more than just a nice feature ;-)

That sounds like a bug, but by implementing the above suggestion, it
would be nicely resolved...

Bye,