[Scummvm-devel] templates, visuals, getDevices()

Joost Peters joostp at 7fc1.org
Tue Mar 3 13:22:19 CET 2009

Max Horn schreef:
>>> Maybe if you tell us what errors you get, with which compiler, we can
>> I was aware of the proper class names, but those forward declatations
>> were the only way I've found so far that made the compiler in
>> question (SGI MIPSpro) happy.
>
> My first thought is: Gee, yet another buggy compiler :-). One approach
> to solve this problem is to switch to GCC, e.g. maybe this one works: <http://freeware.sgi.com/cd-2/relnotes/gcc.html
>  > or the 4.2.3 gcc provided by pkgsrc: <http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2008/02/19/msg000417.html
>  >.

While compiling with GCC certainly is an option (it's what I use since I
don't have MIPSpro), the code that is produced tends to be less well
optimized than that generated by MIPSpro, and on low-end hardware, this
is the difference between ScummVM running acceptably or not.

To that end, it would be nice if we could find a non-invasive workaround
to get MIPSpro working again.

OTOH, I've only used GCC3, so perhaps 4 produces considerably faster code..

Regards,
Joost