[Scummvm-devel] GSoC 2009

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 23:29:11 CET 2009

Max Horn schrieb:
>> Yeah would be really nice to have. Also this time taking stack based VMs
>> into the task would be an good idea IMHO. I have no problem if you would
>> want to be mentor for that. I could happily join as a co-mentor if you
>> want one.
>
> I guess we can figure out who mentors or co-mentors once/if we have
> applicants for such a task.

Of course :-), I was just showing my interest in it.

> Ideally, I wouldn't mind if both of us worked together on this. BTW,
> many GSoC projects assign two mentors to a students.

Seeing that we got yet another mentor this year, we might have enough
mentors to do so too.

>> I actually have some dekyra code around, which tries to be an simple &
>> stupid decompiler, but it has far too many problems (apart from having
>> ugly code ;-) to be committed into SVN. I doubt it will be of much use,
>> but maybe I could send it to a (possible) student, so he could at least
>> check out all of our current 'decompilers', to get a bit into different
>> VMs we support.
>
> Well, we can give them all code we have, point them at free games that
> have stack based engines, make sure they can get script dumps easily
> so that they don't waste a week trying to figure out how to dump stacks

Yep, I guess pointing them at demos of non free games with stack based
engines might be a good idea too :-).

> Also, I just found this excellent reference site:
> <http://www.program-transformation.org/Transform/DeCompilation>. Wish
> I had known about it earlier (resp. wish it had existed earlier ;).

Oh nice I will take a look at that one tomorrow (if I find time).

// Johannes