[Scummvm-devel] Wiki Per Game Compatibility by Platform

MetaFox 4sfemail at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 19:06:01 CET 2009

> kirben wrote:
> I don't see the point in listing the game engines at all, considering we
> currently have three game engines (AGOS, SAGA, SCUMM) with optional games.
> Along with games that might not work on particular platforms, as I mentioned
> above.

And users probably don't care about engines anyway, just what games
they can play with what port.

>> I wanted to keep it easy to read at lower resoultions.  I use
>> 1024x768, which is probably at the low end of the spectrum on today's
>> computers, and the table doesn't need to scroll, so the information
>> doesn't look as cluttered to me.
>
> Yes, using rows for games, and columns for the platforms looks much better,
> while keeping the table more compact.
>
> I think a single entry per game would be fine, only listing critical issues
> specific to each ScummVM port, that effect game play. Otherwise you would
> end up with extremely long list (ie Amiga, Apple IIE, AtariST, Commodore 64,
> NES, DOS V1, DOS V2 for Maniac Mansion). And duplicate information already
> available in the compatbility list on the web page.

OK.  I updated I updated
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User:MetaFox#Test_Bed, dropping the
SCUMM engine listing, instead listing the games alphabetically.

I listed just the games, except in the case of Maniac Mansion and Loom
where certain ports have problems (ex: Maniac Mansion NES) or aren't
completable (ex:Maniac Mansion Apple/C64 and Loom TG-16).

I also added the rest of the platforms, many of which weren't on the
Platforms/Overview page.  GP32 and RiscOS aren't up on my page, but
they are on Platforms/Overview.  The binaries that are out there for
those platforms aren't official, so I thought we probably shouldn't
post compatibility for them.

> An alternative idea:
> * Drop the compatibility list on the web site, instead link (as Supported
> Games?) to this game/platform table page.
> * Merge the current compatibility information, into the game specific pages
> on the wiki.
>
> That would mean users can easily tell which games are completable and
> supported on each port of ScummVM, by looking at a single page. And can
> simply click on game or platform links, for more detailed information about
> a game or port of ScummVM.
>
> While we can centralise information for each game and port of ScummVM, on
> their specific pages on the wiki. Without duplicating information
> (compatibility information in this case), available elsewhere.

I think this would be a good thing.  The compatibility on the main
page doesn't list by platform, so it's not too helpful for people who
want to use ScummVM on devices with limited resources.

I think the way to do this would be to link to the by-platform
compatibility list on the wiki once it's done, and then put any
specific information that isn't specific to game compatibility (ie:
sound issues) on the specific game pages, with maybe a mention of this
on the chart (like: I could use the "Completable with Issues" tag for
these and then put a mention to check game pages for more information,
rather than the way I'm doing it now, which is using bullet points,
which will get messy as the chart gets more full).  This is probably
the most efficient and cleanest way to do it.