[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 0.13.1. Ports are ready? PalmOS, PS2, NDS

Neil Millstone neil at millstone.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 14:44:24 CET 2009

Max Horn wrote:

> Am 25.03.2009 um 12:09 schrieb Neil Millstone:
>
>> Hi Eugene,
>>
>> The DS port was fine a few weeks ago when I did my first beta. So I
>> should be good to go. It would be good if we could set a date a few
>> weeks from now, so I can release a final beta to get people to test.
>
> Of course, if we had the NDS port ready for use in buildbot, and you'd
> follow the good old "commit early, commit often" rule, we'd get tons
> of free beta releases ;-). Same for the PS2 port...
I like to commit when I've had a chance to test changes, to avoid
breaking the build.  When I make a change the next time I get to work on
ScummVM can be weeks or months later, so it can be a while between
commits, but that's the way it has to be.  I would still want to test
beta releases before releasing them on the forums.

I'd like to get the DS port into buildbot though.

> I recently backported your changes on the 0.13 branch to trunk, but
> can't fully compile everything since I made the mistake of installing
> the latest devkitPro release, which is somewhat incompatible with the
> NDS port (mainly jstypes.h was renamed to ndstypes.h, which is easy to
> fix; and consoleInit received a new param, for which I am uncertain
> how to set it). Not nice that they change the API like that...
I updated to devkitpro r24 only a month or so ago.  Their API changes
far too often.  If I was to update every time they made a new release, I
would have no time to do anything else with ScummVM DS at all.  So I
suggest to download r24 and use that.  The one bug I have in devkitpro
hasn't been addressed in several versions anyway.

> Anyway: It would be really good to hear your thoughts on the buildbot
> changes. In particular, my proposal to change the NDS port to use
> configure for building. The Wii port, which also uses devkitPro
> (albeit the PPC and not the ARM variant) does that already. For the
> NDS port, this would yield several advantages, including being able to
> build in external dirs, being able to use the buildbot, and would also
> make it quite easy to build the various variants (with engines
> en/disabled). I'd be willing to work on this at some point, but given
> the past track history of my patches being ignored without a word of
> comment *cough*, I am hesitant to do so.
I don't really understand Make/configure all that well, and quite like
the way it works now.  But, if it's necessary to use buildbot then it
needs to be done.  I'm not sure how much of a change it is from how
things work currently, but if it's minor, then it should be an easy
win.  I still need to be able to support selection of builds by letter
(builds A - J have particular engines enabled/disabled).

Yes, some of your patches were in the patch tracker for a long time, but
currently there are no outstanding ones.  This is partly lack of time,
and also partly that I don't like to apply these patches while the
backend is broken, because I can't test that it works.  It is still the
case that much of the time when I work on ScummVM DS after a gap, things
have broken due to changes in the main codebase.  Often I can't tell
whether the bug is something that someone else will fix, or whether it's
my bug.

So yeah, that's my excuse ;-)

- Neil