[Scummvm-devel] SF.net tracker vs. trac

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Sun Nov 15 00:09:56 CET 2009

Le 27 oct. 09 à 16:23, Max Horn a écrit :

> If you want to play a little bit with Trac and Mantis, here are test
> installs of the SF.net hosted apps for us. Feel free to create test
> issues etc. (WE can wipe it and start over from scratch at a later
> point).
>
> Trac: <https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/scummvm/>
> Mantis: <https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/scummvm/>

I finally found some time to try trac and Mantis. They indeed both
seemed to react a bit slowly, which I have put down to sourceforge
website being slow in general. They were still usable though, and it
is not worse than the current sf.net tracker.

To be honest, I am not sure I prefer trac over the current sf.net
tracker. The terminology it uses is strange and the bug and feature
trackers, while present, seems to be a small part, and the last one,
of a multi-featured system (e.g. roadmap). It took me a few minutes
to find where I needed to go to report a bug.

On the other hand, while Mantis seems to have the same multitude of
features as trac, the tracker is first and foremost, which means I
found it immediately. I also found the terminology and GUI used by
Mantis less confusing.

You can find my detailed thoughts in the issue reports I opened on
these two systems:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/scummvm/ticket/2
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/scummvm/view.php?id=4

In summary, if personally I had to choose between these three systems
hosted by sourceforge, I would go with Mantis.

Thierry