[Scummvm-devel] GSoC gui tools

Joost Peters joostp at 7fc1.org
Mon Nov 23 03:55:19 CET 2009

Hi folks,

As some of you will know, as part of Google's Summer of Code programme,
we had a student working on unifying our tools and creating a new GUI
front-end using the wxWidgets library.
Apart from some bugs, this is in a mostly finished state, so we should
really aim to merge this into trunk sooner rather than later.  I want to
work on this and push the process forward the coming week(s).

It seems there are 2 approaches we can take; 1) we slowly merge in a few
steps, update the old tools to use the new structure / classes, etc.  or
2) we do (regression) testing and bug fixing in the branch, then import
it wholesale when we've fixed all outstanding issues.
I'm personally in favour of option 2 since it seems the least amount of
work and easier distributable.   Any opinions?

Regardless of which method we choose, the following jobs will
(eventually) need to be done, and any help would be appreciated:

- Testing of the GUI version of the new unified tools(s) on various
platforms.

- (regression) testing of the CLI version of the new tool(s) against the
old standalone ones. Either using a test suite/script or manually.
    So far I've tested compress_scumm_sou (various games/demos),
compress_queen, compress_agos (Simon 2 only), compress_tinsel (DW1 only).

- Creating a test suite/script.
   I've written a fairly ghetto bash shell script that aids in testing
(compares the md5 sum of a known-to-be-good file against what the tool
creates), but it's not great and could either do with a bit of work, or
a better alternative.  Is anyone familiar with an existing system for
such a task?

- Setting up tool builds for various platforms on our buildbot.

Looking forward to hearing any feedback.

Regards,
Joost