[Scummvm-devel] GSoC gui tools

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Sat Nov 28 23:37:05 CET 2009

I tested several tools today (GUI and CLI) with a version I compiled
yesterday evening.

First the good news: extract_scumm_mac works like a charm with the
GUI tool. I tried all the mac games I have (DOTT, FT and Sam&Max),
letting the GUi auto-detect the tool or selecting it manually, with
input and/or output directory names that contain spaces and special
characters. Everything worked.

However the CLI for extract_scumm_mac does not work (the only way to
make it work is to create a out/ directory in the current directory).
See bugs:
#2905462: cannot use -o or --output flags with tools_cli
#2905466: issue with extract_scumm_mac default output directory

Another nearly good news: compress_scumm_sou works (more or less). I
had one issues with it:
#2905473: cannot use lame with compress_scumm_sou GUI (it works fine
with the CLI)
I also add the same problem as with extract_scumm_mac when trying to
use -o or --output flag with the CLI.

Otherwise vorbis and flac work work well with both CLI and GUI.
However in the GUI the temporary files are always named tempfile.mp3,
and it looks strange to see several messages with "tempname.mp3" when
you selected vorbis (in the CLI the temporary files are named
tempfile.ogg when using vorbis).

A really bad news is that I couldn't make compress_scumm_san and
compress_scumm_bun work. I get errors with both the GUI and the CLI.
#2905479: extract_scumm_san and extract_scumm_bun do not work

One more minor thing: the GUI is using the old ScummVM logo and this
should be updated.

I also have a few suggestions to improve the GUI:
* Would it be possible to display a progress bar for
extract_scumm_mac and compress_scumm_* (e.g. % of the input file size
that has been processed)?

* Could the tool remember the user last choice for the Open output
folder checkbox on the last page?

* Cancel after running the tools does not make sense as it does
nothing. I think that the button should be disabled after running the
tool and at least on the last page (or maybe it should delete the
output of the tool).

* Select input files: we can select several files in the file chooser
but then only one is listed in the text field of the Tools GUI. Maybe
the file chooser should not accept selection of multiple files.

* On the last page it would be nice to have an option to extract or
compress other files (i.e. go back on the first page instead of
closing the application).

* It is not evident to know when the tools have finished to process
the files in the GUI. This is I think for two reasons:
1) It is still displaying "Processing data..." above the scroll view
after it has finished
2) The scrollview with the output does not always automatically
scroll to the end (for me it almost never does) which means the "Tool
finished without errors!" message is not visible if the user does not
scroll manually.
I think the "Processing data..." message should be changed or removed
at the end of the processing. Also maybe the "Tools finished without
erors!" message could be shown outside (e.g. below) the scroll view.
It could even use a different colors (e.g. green if no errors, red if
there were errors).

* Lastly, you should probably remove the developer note from the GUI
in the page to select the input file.

Thierry