[Scummvm-devel] Ports and their custom build systems. Do we need them?

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Wed Oct 14 16:58:12 CEST 2009

Max Horn <max at quendi.de> writes:

> I noticed that several ports which now support configure based
> building (e.g. DC, PSP) still seem to maintain and use their custom
> build systems, too. That made me wonder why this is the case: Is it
> more convenient for some reason? If so, which? Is the configure based
> build process lacking certain abilities? If so, which? What else is
> making porters want to keep and maintain their custom build systems?

I'm using the custom Makefile when developing mainly out of habit,
so I can't really say if there are any abilities lacking in the
configure process.  I know it is good enough to build (rather than
develop) ScummVM, so I don't think there are any shortcomings
which need immediate attention.

> Would be nice to hear about this from porters, as my hope is that
> based on this valuable input we can further improve our primary build
> system, ideally being able to supersede the custom ones completely.
> Which I consider desirable, as it reduced "code" duplication, [...]

If keeping the duplicate parts (which are rather limited, most stuff
is imported from Makefile.common anyway) in sync becomes a hassle to
me, I will probably remove the old Makefile.  But it isn't currently.

  // Marcus