[Scummvm-devel] FreeSCI options and filters

yotam barnoy yotambarnoy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 14:38:23 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Lars Skovlund <lskovlun at image.dk> wrote:

> It may be worthwhile to point out that there are a few situations
> where graphical glitches result from the non-dithered mode. These are
> situations where a view (foreground sprites - bitmaps which we can't
> un-dither by definition) uses the same dithering pattern as the pic
> (background picture) around it, either for "blending in" or for
> special effects. Not dithering the background makes this look slightly
> ugly. That's one more reason for having dithering as an option.

That would  explain the dithering on the buttons in Filippos' "after" image
from QFG I.

Couldn't we find a way to un-dither after all? We know the palette that's
desired for the image, and we know how it dithers, so all that remains is
scanning the bitmaps for the (up to) 16 patterns and replacing them with the
proper palette colors. If that's too expensive, we can maybe add in hints
per image.

Yotam