[Scummvm-devel] Adding Frotz engine to ScummVM

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 09:45:49 CEST 2009

> It would change ScummVM's focus from point and click adventure games, to
> any adventures games. Opening the ScummVM project, to incorporating the
> many different text based game engines around.
>
> The Frotz project already offers wide support for many different
> platforms. I think the multi-platform support of ScummVM would actually
> be a disadvantage in this case, due to been designed for graphical
> adventure games. ScummVM would have higher requirements, compared to
> Frotz, which is designed solely for those games.

I also think that a text adventure wouldn't fit into the scope of
ScummVM. So I would rather say no to this engine too. Also as Kirben
stated our whole infrastructure is aimed for graphical games. For a
text adventure features like anti aliased fonts would be much nicer
compared to our rather limited font support. I do not really see any
reason why one would want to add a text adventure engine into ScummVM
anyway.

Seeing that you compare AGI with an text adventure, I do not think
it's *that* similar. For example *all* AGI games do feature graphics.
Of course the interaction is purely text based (except the AMIGA
versions, where you can use the mouse to move characters AFAIK). All
in all I do not see our support for the AGI engine as an argument for
allowing text adventure engines to be integrated into ScummVM.

// Johannes