[Scummvm-devel] Adding Frotz engine to ScummVM

Maple Syrup mapleysyrup at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 06:55:05 CEST 2009

 > Seeing that you compare AGI with an text adventure, I do not think
> it's *that* similar. For example *all* AGI games do feature graphics.
> Of course the interaction is purely text based (except the AMIGA
> versions, where you can use the mouse to move characters AFAIK). All
> in all I do not see our support for the AGI engine as an argument for
> allowing text adventure engines to be integrated into ScummVM.

// Johannes

I hope you don't mind a bit of input from someone who's a user and a tester
rather than a developer.  Here's my two cents on the issue.

The later games that use the blorb resources format have graphics.  They
even have mouse control, to varying degrees by game.  For instance, you can
use the mouse in Zork Zero to use the map, and in Journey the entire game is
played with a mouse with no typing required.

So, the later games fit into the scope of ScummVM.  For the earlier games,
it would seem to me it would be like the AGOS engine for example.  The
engine would be in ScummVM for Zork Zero, Journey, etc., but like Elvira
I+II and Waxworks, the other games are in ScummVM because they use the same
engine.