[Scummvm-devel] Adding Frotz engine to ScummVM

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 13:02:08 CEST 2009

> I hope you don't mind a bit of input from someone who's a user and a tester
> rather than a developer.  Here's my two cents on the issue.

Nope I don't mind that ;-). It's always nice to hear the users opinion.

> The later games that use the blorb resources format have graphics.  They
> even have mouse control, to varying degrees by game.  For instance, you can
> use the mouse in Zork Zero to use the map, and in Journey the entire game is
> played with a mouse with no typing required.

If you mean this game:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/journey-the-quest-begins/screenshots
Looking at the screenshots, it still looks more like a text adventure
than a point & click adventure. Thus I wouldn't say it fits into the
scope of ScummVM.

> So, the later games fit into the scope of ScummVM.  For the earlier games,
> it would seem to me it would be like the AGOS engine for example.  The
> engine would be in ScummVM for Zork Zero, Journey, etc., but like Elvira
> I+II and Waxworks, the other games are in ScummVM because they use the same
> engine.

I disagree for the above mentioned reason. The comparance to AGOS is
pretty weak, Simon 1 and 2 (and probably The Feeble Files, but I don't
have that, so I can't talk about that) *are* point & click adventures.
Thus in this case support for Elivra games and Waxworks is based on an
engine, which does support real & click adventures. Unlike the "Frotz"
engine, which seems only to support text adventures (even when the
later have a graphical interface).

// Johannes