[Scummvm-devel] String fragments and system strings in SCI

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Sep 15 17:03:32 CEST 2009

Am 15.09.2009 um 16:31 schrieb Filippos Karapetis:

> Further to this: I've now created a patch which removes string
> fragments, and uses Common::String instead, with no ill-effects.
> Should I apply it to the trunk, or upload it to the tracker?

Post it to the tracker first. BTW, I don't see at all how
Common::String is related to the issue at hand (which is that the
Glutton engine tries to be clever and recognize the "type" of data and
then store each kind differently; which is sabotaged by some SCI
versions actually treating data of type A as type B, leading to
potential breakage, which is all what string fragments are about).

Just because we don't know of any other places where this turns into a
problem doesn't mean there aren't any... at the very least, our code
should be able to detect this situation and warn about it. Also, I
would like to hear what Lars has to say :)