[Scummvm-devel] Android port

Angus Lees alees at google.com
Thu Apr 22 07:36:02 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 23:44, Max Horn <fingolfin at scummvm.org> wrote:

> Hi Gus, hi team,
>
> thanks for your updated Android patch. Did you already see my last comments
> on your patch? (For reference, I am talking about patch #2603856 <
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2603856&group_id=37116&atid=418822
> >.)

Just read your reply now.

> From my point of view, with just very little bit of work (as detailed in my
> comment on that tracker item) we could merge your port now -- at least in a
> preliminary form, i.e., with the changes in gui/ not committed directly, but
> only in the form of a patch file in backends/platforms/android. We could
> then together work on resolving that last bit from inside the directory.
> This is not 100% perfect, but 98%, as it would still avoid most of the
> burden of porting your patches to each new version.

This works for me.  How do you want me to submit such a patch?
I'll start another thread to discuss the theme .zip changes.

All in all, the port is IMO already in a better shape than some of our
> existing ports *g*.

The big problem with the port is that it uses a bunch of Android-internal
functions - and the resulting ABI changes cause it to break across Android
major releases.  I'm slowly removing these as the Android guys expose more
things through legitimate APIs, but there will be a fair amount of code
churn until then.  Unfortunately, many of these changes will probably
involve switching from private C++ to public Java functions, which are
typically 10x slower.

 - Gus