[Scummvm-devel] Switching to Git (was Re: Broken Sword 2.5)

Bertrand Augereau bertrand_augereau at yahoo.fr
Sat Aug 7 19:26:40 CEST 2010

--- En date de : Sam 7.8.10, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> a écrit :

> De: Max Horn <max at quendi.de>
> Objet: Re: [Scummvm-devel] Switching to Git (was Re: Broken Sword 2.5)
> À: "Bertrand Augereau" <bertrand_augereau at yahoo.fr>
> Cc: sev at scummvm.org, "Henry Bush" <scummvm at spookypeanut.co.uk>, "ScummVM devel" <scummvm-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>
> Date: Samedi 7 août 2010, 16h46
>
> Am 07.08.2010 um 15:09 schrieb Bertrand Augereau:
>
> >> I don't know enough about git to give an informed
> answer on
> >> that.
> >> However, what I do know is that at work we just
> switched
> >> from cvs to
> >> git, and we just dumped everything in a single
> repository
> >> to begin
> >> with, in the knowledge that we could shuffle it
> round
> >> afterwards, and
> >> it has worked very well, much less painful than I
> imagined.
> >> But we
> >> haven't done the shuffling yet ;-)
> >

> > Merging renames can be a hassle on large repositories
> (O(n2) IIRC) (and didn't work correctly at some point in the
> past) but it does work well at ork with a 60GB working copy
> including binary assets and source code.
> > Thus I think dumping brutally all the history in a git
> repository and grafting/refactoring/shuffling incrementally
> stuff we need as Henry did could be a good solution that
> could haste the process, as git will probably manage
> following all the moves.
>
> Just somebody has to do that work. Also, messing with the
> repository like that would change commit ids, right? So we
> wouldn't want to do this after we started to make the
> repository public... Or am I missing something?

A few force updates are acceptable (I think) if you notify all the users they will have to rebase their branches.
The advantage is that everybody would begin to use git now, pusjhng on "trunk" and when somebody refactors "trunk" for having a better history, their commits will still apply with rebase, cherry-pick or am.
I think this is a good tradeof for improving "time-to-market" for git at scummvm :)