[Scummvm-devel] Testing needed for GSoC OpenGL Branch

vgvgf vgvgvgf at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 07:46:31 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 6:45 AM, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:
> but did you read what Yotam wrote (the part you quoted right before your text) ? He asked what the point is in having the 5/4, 5/3, 16/9 etc. modes. And quite frankly, I am wondering about that, too. It seems those modes are not necessary at all.
>
> Please explain why you / your mentors think that those specific fixed rates are necessary, now that you can scale to arbitrary resolutions.

I think those extra options are only for the user personal taste.
While it is easy to switch to a fullscreen mode with the desired
aspect ratio, in some lcds those modes may be simulated by the monitor
and the screen will not be seen properly. Also, it is hard to resizing
the window and maintain the screen aspect ratio, so this aspect ratios
corrections can help in that. However, as you and yotam said, they may
not be really needed and is a feature that will not be really used.

What I have not implemented is an option for maintaining the original
size, that seems a good feature to implement. I will implement it, but
should I delete the aspect ratio correction option defined in
"desired_screen_aspect_ratio", along with the options for forcing
16/9, 16/10, 4/3, 5/4 and 5/3 aspect ratios? An alternative can be
only to add the option selected in "desired_screen_aspect_ratio" only
if it was defined in the configuration file by the user, by default
"desired_screen_aspect_ratio" has as value "auto" and that would be
ignored.

Regarding the maintaining the original size option, for example, in
case that a scaling factor of x3 is used  (So, a 320x240 game would be
960x720) and a fullscreen mode like 640x480 is used, should I downsize
the game screen to 640x480 or just leave it at its current size (And
some parts will be left out of screen)?

Regards,
Alejandro