[Scummvm-devel] Detecting patched games

Oystein Eftevaag wintermute at geheb.com
Mon Aug 16 13:29:57 CEST 2010

On 8/16/10 3:46 AM, Thierry Crozat wrote:
> Le 15 août 2010 à 22:52, Oystein Eftevaag a écrit :
>
>> My question here remains, I think: What do we actually gain from this,
>> that we don't get by just adding a warning?
>>
> Legal security?

How would this give us legal security? Honest question :).

I can see how this would cut down on false bugreports, but I question if
we wouldn't get the same by just adding a warning popup to these variants.
> I don't really follow your reasoning. I have cracked some games back in the days so that I did not need to insert the CD each time I wanted to play them. But since I have the original CDs what is the problem with copying the uncracked version from the CD to play with ScummVM (especially as the no-CD crack is not needed there)?

My point was just that cracking games you own yourself is pretty common,
not that no-CD cracks is necessary for ScummVM. Though to be fair, if
you lose the CDs you still own the game. What do you do then?

> I know that some copy protections are really annoying and can be removed using a crack. If I want to use it I can just modify and recompile my version of ScummVM (and you already made it clear how easy it was). So I have no issue with the initial idea of recognizing some cracked version and skipping them during detection.

Easy for us (and easy to get done for pirates). An insurmountable
challenge for most users.

A few people mentioned that we can know for *sure* that these versions
are pirated. How is the signature different if I run crackMonkey2.exe,
compared to EvilPirate running crackMonkey2.exe? I'm not talking about
writing my own cracks here.

// Oystein