[Scummvm-devel] Testing needed for GSoC OpenGL Branch

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 22:21:48 CEST 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:22 AM, vgvgf <vgvgvgf at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 3) I read a bit in this thread and I am still confused about the
>> aspect modes you can cycle through Ctrl-Alt-a. It seems currently
>> there is no way to run 320x200 games in 4/3 aspect mode (at least not
>> with the default sources). That is rather unfortunate since back in
>> the days 320x200 was used on a 4/3 CRT, thus 320x200 is also a 4/3
>> mode. It seems the current code does not take that into consideration
>> though. I really think that we should have support for displaying
>> 320x200 with a 4/3 aspect ratio, thus like it would be a 320x240 mode.
>> Of course some games rather think that 320x200 was really a 16/10
>> mode, check this for example:
>> http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0200586/videogames/steelsky/trivia_resolution.html
> I removed the 4/3 aspect ratio option along with other specific
> options, still I can add 4/3 back if desired. Still that would make 4
> options for ctrl-alt-a, or 3 if "original" is moved to a new hotkey,
> but that is not that bad. I will see to add it along with a
> ctrl-shift-a option for going to the previous option.

Actually having 4/3 back there would be nice, despite having four
different modes to toggle in ctrl-alt-a then. We could of course
introduce ctrl-shift-a, to switch backward there too :-P.

>> Also currently there's some "Original" aspect ratio setting you can
>> switch on via Ctrl-Alt-a, this seems only loosely related to the
>> aspect ratio, but rather related to the scaling setting, i.e. when I
>> activate it in fullscreen I get only a small view of the original
>> (with the "original" aspect ratio). That rather seems out of place for
>> the aspect ratio settings.
> You are right, it is not really related to aspect ratio corrections,
> however, it does fit in ctrl-alt-a as all options there are related to
> the game screen stretching, activating "original" means that no
> stretching should be done. Because of that, I think that having that
> option there seems convenient. I could add it in a separated hotkey,
> still that would complicate the things a bit, but there is no problem
> for implementing it.

Maybe we shouldn't say "Current aspect ratio mode:" in the on screen
gui then on ctrl-alt-a, but rather something like "display mode" as
Yotam suggested (at least for OpenGL). Guess having a "Original"
setting then might make sense, though I personally do not see too much
use for that ;-).

What I would really prefer instead of "OpenGL Normal", "OpenGL 1x"
etc. settings would be to have just one OpenGL setting and instead the
ability to resize the window even when a specific display mode /
aspect ratio is setup, of course it should retain that setting. For
example I setup 4/3 as mode and then always when I resize the Window
it automatically assures that it is resized in a 4/3 aspect.

I guess what prevents that currently is that we still have a fixed
size overlay depending on the OpenGL mode setup. At least when I make
the window really small with "OpenGL 2x" selected I still have all the
high res GUI features and a rather unreadable GUI. Either we should
set the overlay size to the real window size then or we should think
of different solution here.

>> 4) The screenshots taken with the OpenGL backend have wrong colors.
>> The R and B components are mixed up. I attached two screenshot from
>> the Kyrandia 1 demo, one taken via the plain SDL backend (without a
>> "gl") and one with the OpenGL-SDL backend (with "gl").
> I will have to investigate futher on this, it seems I'm missing
> something about how glReadPixels works or when detecting if the SDL
> window is using a BGR or a RGB pixel mode.

Ok.

>> 5) Switching the fullscreen modes via Ctrl-Alt-Enter is tiresome. When
>> one misses the mode he wants to use, he has to cycle through all modes
>> again. I guess some hotkey for next mode and previous mode would be
>> much nicer here.
> Added a Ctrl-Shift-Enter hotkey for backward switching through fullscreen modes.

Thanks! Works great :-).

// Johannes