[Scummvm-devel] ATTN PORTERS: OSystem::grabPalette requirement change

Angus Lees alees at google.com
Tue Dec 21 13:11:51 CET 2010

 On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 22:48, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:

> Am 20.12.2010 um 23:06 schrieb Marcus Comstedt:
> [...]
> > This kind of makes me wonder:  If the only function of the method is
> > to return the exact same data as was passed to setPalette, why does it
> > need to be in the backend at all?  If the engines really need help
> > remembering what palettes they set, couldn't a function somewhere in
> > graphics/ provide that service?
>
> Excellent point.  Ising a unified implementation would make life  easier for porters and ensures consistency across all platforms.

More generally, there are probably a bunch of platforms which don't
have paletted hardware and so need to fake that whole layer. I imagine
this set/grab/copy/lock/etc code looks awfully similar across all such
backends (except for where that common code is in the SDL library).

How far down this rabbit hole do you want to go ;)

 - Gus