[Scummvm-devel] Displaying subtitles in voice-only games

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Wed Dec 22 10:12:24 CET 2010

On 22 December 2010 10:49, Travis Howell <kirben at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> The English and German versions of Simon the Sorcerer 1 (CD) actually
> removed the string ids from scripts, and the strings from the data
> files. So adding back the missing subtitles would not be possible,
> without major changes (updating the majority of scripts) to the data
> files. and there are timing differences in the scripts too.
The idea here is not to modify the scripts, but detect the string by
file name and position in that file.

Then of course, somebody has to produce those subtitles, debug them, etc.

The feature itself is not very complicated from programming point of
view, the more difficult and tiresome would be to write down every
spoken string in the game, so we will need dedicated volunteers for
that.

Eugene