[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM PS2: SCI games

sunmax at libero.it sunmax at libero.it
Tue Feb 9 05:38:59 CET 2010

Hi Johannes,

> So you do have the DOSBox OPL emulator enabled in the PS2 port

Yes, I do.

Both on PS2 backend and Linux/SDL which I use as comparison.

> (judging by our warnings not, else it wouldn't say "WARNING:
> No OPL emulator available for type 1!")?

That's why I reported this warning as confusing to the dev-list.

Please keep in mind that I'm overriding the AdLib setting in:

 Edit Game -> Audio -> AdLib : Mame OPL

Then you will get the bogus warnings.

You can reproduce it on any SDL backend.

If you don't override it will default to the DOSBox one...

> If so could you provide any information on how it works for
> the PS2 (i.e. does it run fine, or is it slow/makes choppy
> sound?).

...which on the PS2 is excruciatingly slow: it keeps every note
on for about 10 secs. The first time I thought SCI engine was
crashed, then left the PS2 going to answer a few mails and after
a few minutes I saw the first slice of Sierra logo on screen.

It takes 30-45 minutes to go through Sq3 intro.

So it's easy to detect when you are using Mame or DOSBox OPL ;-)

With Mame the sound is fine, but games animation are pretty slow,
and it's not because of the sound since they are as slow with it
disabled (likely something not well optimized on PS2 backend).

See my previous mails for details.

Hope this helps.

Ciao,
 -max