[Scummvm-devel] Switching from SVN to git, mercurial or bazaar

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Jan 3 23:33:22 CET 2010

Am 03.01.2010 um 19:29 schrieb Eugene Sandulenko:
> Where we are at with this activity?

If you mean with "activity" the idea of moving to "git": Nowhere. I
just gauged interest in this on the list. Since then, nobody pushed it
or developed a migration plan or anything.

> What is blocking us from moving?
>
> I think switching to git could really help. If I can help somehow,
> just
> say so.

Essentially, you'll have to find somebody doing it. I moved to a new
job, and I don't have the time and energy to work on major projects
for ScummVM anymore.

 From my perspective, if we want to move to git, the first step should
be conversion of one (or maybe a few) minor SVN modules, to gain
experience. We could start off with say "buildbot". If that works
well, I'd suggest converting either "web" or "tools" -- the idea being
that both are less critical than our main module, but still are used
actively, so people can gain some experience with them.

Also, I'd consider making a "testing / sandbox" repository where
people can commit, branch, pull, push as they want, just to be able to
get some experience. Esp. our windows folks should be able to test it
a bit.

Once (if) we passed these test stages successfully, we can migrate all
our SVN modules to separate git repositories; although I'd suggest
evaluating whether we can merge some. E.g. "buildbot", "doxygen",
"webplanet" etc.  could be turned into subdirs of a single git
repository "sites" or so. (Whether this would include web or not I'll
leave open for discussion). Anyway, IMHO this would be neater and
actually simplify life a bit, I don't see a point in having a dozen
repos for this stuff.