[Scummvm-devel] Issue compilling the tools with make 3.80

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Sat Jan 9 20:04:56 CET 2010

Hi all,

For your information, I tried to compile the ScummVM tools (from
trunk) on MacOS X 10.4 today and ran into the infamous "virtual
memory exhausted" bug in make 3.80 (see for example http://
www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg01659.html or https://
savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?func=detailitem&item_id=1517). The
bug is fixed in make 3.81 and indeed I can confirm that the tools
compile fine on MacOS X 10.5 and 10.6 (which both use make 3.81).
I also compiled make 3.81 on MacOS X 10.4 today and then was able to
compile the ScummVM tools with this version of make.

I suppose this might affect other platforms who use make 3.80 without
the corrective patch.

Last time I tried to compile the tools on that computer was about
three weeks ago and it compiled fine.

I am not sure if I should fill or not a bug report for this issue
considering it is a make bug and not a ScummVM tools bug. Let me know
if you want me to fill a bug report.

Thierry