[Scummvm-devel] SCUMM GM/MT32 Preference

Torbjörn Andersson eriktorbjorn at telia.com
Sun Jul 4 09:19:59 CEST 2010

On 2010-06-28 02:56, Travis Howell wrote:

> This change should have happened long ago, these games were designed for
> MIDI, so MIDI really should be the default.

Even if a game engine says "I prefer MT-32", should it actually get it
unless the "True Roland MT-32 (disable GM emulation)" option is set?

For instance, Beneath a Steel Sky apparently supports both General MIDI
and MT-32, but now it always gets MT-32 which doesn't sound as nice on
my sound card as General MIDI used to.

(Other games that don't sound as nice as they used to for me are Flight
of the Amazon Queen and Simon the Sorcerer 1, but there may be others.)

Also, at least for me the default setting for "MT32 Device" was "MT-32
Emulator" so some games wouldn't even start for me since I don't have
the necessary data files for it. (From what I understand, I would need
to extract them from a real MT-32, which I don't have.) It would be nice
if there was a more graceful fallback for that.

Torbjörn Andersson