[Scummvm-devel] NDS black screen

Neil neil at millstone.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 11 19:20:53 CEST 2010

On 10/07/2010 10:01, Max Horn wrote:
> Am 09.07.2010 um 14:34 schrieb Neil Millstone:
>
> [...]
>
>>> Maybe the change simply increased the memory usage so much that it tipped the balance and caused the crash?
>>>

>> Monkey Island 2 (which Tony is using to test) has a fair amount of
>> memory free normally.  Other games are much more memory intensive. So
>> these checkboxes would have to be pretty huge to make the game run out
>> of RAM.
>>
> Well, there were several hundred of commits before that, introducing *tons* of new features to our code base, such as translation support. This increased the size of the base binary and the GUI theme files probably by quite a bit (although some of them can be turned of during compile time). While three radio buttons certainly don't take up much memory, the code to implement them, added atop all the other new code, may very well have filled up many hundred of kilobytes.

Many hundreds of kilobytes will effectively kill the DS port unless the
new code can be #ifdef'd out.  I doubt that is the cause here though.
There's perhaps a megabyte or more of free memory at the first screen of
Monkey island, and nothing that's been implemented should take that much
RAM.  If it is, it's being done the wrong way!

> Maybe. Or not. I just am saying: It might not be this patch that is the primary cause, it might just be the one that broke the camel's back :). Or maybe what I am saying is a complete false lead, that's of course possible... :)
>

> BTW, the DS code still uses three checkboxes to fake radio buttons; we discussed in the past changing that to a popup. Well, now you can simply change it to real radio buttons... :)

Yes, that will be great.

Thanks,

- Neil