[Scummvm-devel] Decompiler survey: Jump opcodes

Michael Madsen michael at birdiesoft.dk
Sat Jun 12 14:47:41 CEST 2010

Hello engine developers,

I'm about to start working on the code flow part of my decompiler, and I would like to request some information on jump opcodes in various engines. Specifically, I am interested in knowing if there are any engines that have a jump opcode which takes something other than a single argument containing the destination as part of the instruction bytes.

It doesn't matter if it's a conditional jump or an unconditional jump - the question concerns *all* jumps. Calls to subroutines are not included.

If the argument to your jump opcodes is anything other than an absolute address, or an address relative to the PC, I would like to hear about that as well.

Although the scope of the decompiler is limited to stack-based instruction sets, replies about other kinds of engines are welcome. If your instruction set is stack-based, I would appreciate it if you can also reply to my other question in the other thread.

Michael