[Scummvm-devel] ATTN: Declaring PalmOS port as officially dead; deadline till July 16

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Jun 16 00:17:07 CEST 2010

Hello everybody,

after discussion with Eugene, I hereby officially declare the PalmOS port dead. :-(.

Here is a brief summary of the reasons: The last binary for it was for 0.11.1, released 2008-02-29, more than two years ago. Since then it has not been touched much, and is heavily out of date. In addition, PalmOS itself is effectively dead (yes, Chris told us that there are actually some new PalmOS devices being released this year, but whom are we kidding?). Finally, we don't even have instructions on how to build the PalmOS port; it seems to require commercial tools to do so. The docs Chris was hoping to write on this unfortunately never surfaced. (I am not complaining, I know how it is, there is only so much time).

It is sad, esp. since Chris spend tons of hard and good work on this port over many years. But still: Since this port has suffered sever bitrot and there are no signs that this will change, I have no hope for it at this time. Therefore, after discussing this with Eugene, we plan to

   REMOVE THE PALMOS PORT from our repository sometime after July 16.

We are waiting one month with this removal to give potential volunteers time to step up and update the port to work with the latest ScummVM sources. If there are significant steps towards this goal, we are willing to postpone the removal or even cancel it.

If somebody wants to turn this into a news item on our website or a forum post requesting help, you are most welcome to do so!

Bye,
Max Horn
ScummVM Project Lead
http://www.scummvm.org/