[Scummvm-devel] Translation support was added to ScummVM

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Jun 19 18:50:34 CEST 2010

Am 19.06.2010 um 16:37 schrieb Thierry Crozat:

[...]
> But I am not sure on the idea of forcing the translators to have gettext. On MacOS X for example, if you use poEdif (which is easy to find and install), gettext is included and hidden inside the bundle. Which means this tool can be used to update the .po file from the template and create or edit the .po file. The only thing you cannot do is update scummvm.pot from the source code. On the other hand it is quite difficult to find and install a version of gettext (you need to compile it yourself or copy the one hidden in the poEdit bundle for example).

Ah come on! Installing Fink or MacPorts is trivial, and at least for Fink, a gettext version is always installed by default (I don't know about the default set of packages for MacPorts); for both it is trivial to install a current gettext version. Installing one of those is the easiest way to be able to compile ScummVM, too, which in turn is very helpful for testing the translation...

If a translator is not willing to do that very easy thing (which also has minimal impact on your system if you don't want to use both), well, we can find other translators :).

Bye,