[Scummvm-devel] Translation support was added to ScummVM

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Jun 19 21:27:45 CEST 2010

Am 19.06.2010 um 01:41 schrieb Thierry Crozat:

> Le 15 juin 2010 à 19:15, Eugene Sandulenko a écrit :
>
>> PS. If somebody would put my original letter to Wiki (in proper form),
>> as well as GUI-related one, I would appreciate it much.
>>

> I have just created two new pages on the wiki regarding translation (one for developers and one for translators):
> http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Supporting_GUI_Translation
> http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/HOWTO-Translate_ScummVM_GUI
>
> I would appreciate if somebody could proofread them to make sure I didn't write complete bullshit.

First off: Thanks for creating those pages!

Some remarks / suggestions on how to improve them further:

* On both pages, it would be nice to have a brief blurb which states what the scope of the page is meant to -- so that users can know which page they should read, and so that editors will know what to put where ;)
 For the HOWTO page, one can sort of guess it from the title, but for the other page, it's not quite as clear...

* HOWTO page: Would be nice to give more information on how to install gettext. Either a brief overview ("On Windows, do X; on Linux, it should already be installed, otherwise do XYZ; on Mac OS X, we recommend installing Fink or MacPort; also XCode and BLABLA". OR if you know some external page which describes this well, just link there.
Alternatively / simultaneously, this information could be added to the "compiling ScummVM" pages. (I just added a Mac OS X compile instruction page, BTW, which is almost empty right now... ;)

* I'd recommend adding a note that states that while we welcome translations, we  suggest to talk to us before starting one: in case multiple people want to work on the same language, we can help bring them so they can collaborate.