[Scummvm-devel] Avoiding loading of all plugins during startup

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 11:20:05 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 6:43 AM, yotam barnoy <yotambarnoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the interest of making option 1 more palatable to the DC and a good
> transition state, what if we had a system parameter which determines
> how many plugins we keep loading at a time. Specifically, it would
> specify how many bytes of memory the plugins should take up before we
> stop loading any more. The default would be 0 meaning that as soon as
> a plugin is loaded into memory, it would be used to detect ie. one
> plugin at a time. The opposite end of the spectrum would be -1 which
> indicates you can load all of the plugins safely before detecting. The
> DC could specify 16MB minus the size of the main executable, which
> would allow loading of all the plugins into memory before detection
> EXCEPT that once there are more plugins than available memory, the
> plugins to load before detecting again.
>
> This way, it's still a transitional state since it requires the code
> not to assume all the plugins are loaded for detection, it's still a
> fallback method for option 2, but it's also compatible with the DC's
> requirements.

Maybe I'm on a bit of a loss here, but why is this required? Marcus
already said that his backend uses extra detection code and only
relies on EngineMan.detectGames, so if that interface is unchanged he
can still load the plugins how he likes and then uses
EngineMan.detectGames, right? (EngineMan.detectGames just uses the
already load plugins and I don't see why this should be changed by
option 1)

// Johannes