[Scummvm-devel] SCUMM GM/MT32 Preference

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jun 28 02:56:01 CEST 2010

On 27/06/2010 11:29 PM, Matthew Hoops wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Florian Kagerer<mail at floriankagerer.de>  wrote:
>> The only reason for this change was that I thought that it was a good idea.
>> But I didn't test anything but Windows.
>> This is really a matter of personal taste and the engine authors should
>> decide for themselves how they set this up
>> in their engines and set these flags in any way they like.
>> I surely didn’t' set these flags to annoy anyone ;-)
> I didn't mean to imply that there was any wrongdoing here, I just
> didn't know the reasoning behind the change ;)
>
> What are everyone else's thoughts here?

This change should have happened long ago, these games were designed for
MIDI, so MIDI really should be the default.

The only reason ScummVM defaulted to Adlib in the past, was due to
limited support for MIDI on specific ports (i.e. Linux) in the distant past.

I would suggest enabling mixed Adlib/MIDI mode by default too, which
allows the sound effects in Monkey Island 1 (EGA/VGA) when using MIDI.
And frequently offers better sound effects in Fate of Atlantis and
Monkey Island 2 too.