[Scummvm-devel] Avoiding loading of all plugins during startup

yotam barnoy yotambarnoy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 16:09:32 CEST 2010

I'm bringing up this topic again -- it looks like Tony may have to
implement this sooner than we expected.

There seem to be 2 camps here. Some want option 2 (see Max's original
email), with an engineId inserted in the config file. Others want
option 3, with a specialized detection plugin.

Personally, I see option 3 as being more work to implement, since it
depends on mucking about with the engines themselves (specifically
SCI) and separating out the detection code. We want to implement this
thing now -- this is not a plan of what's ideal in a year's time.

Option 2 also seems easier to implement to me since it's built of
essentially 2 stages, and I like stages: Stage 1 is really option 1
ie. one plugin loaded at a time. Even if stage 2 fails, stage 1 will
be an improvement over what we currently have. Stage 2 is introducing
the field in the config file with an easy fallback to stage 1. (I'm
not sure what the implications are for the DC -- I got confused during
the last correspondence).

I'd appreciate feedback with the understanding that this is a plan of
action to be implemented imminently.

Thanks
Yotam