[Scummvm-devel] D2D backend

David Kaplan 010of001 at gmail.com
Sun May 2 18:05:50 CEST 2010

On 2 May 2010 19:01, Johannes Schickel <lordhoto at scummvm.org> wrote:

> Well platform specific text rendering is no advantage at all for us
> (currently) though. Our APIs do not provide any way to take advantage of
> such platform specific features. If at all that would probably be only an
> advantage for our GUI, all of the games feature custom fonts (as in formats,
> i.e. no TTF or the like), thus one would need to draw them in a custom
> manner anyway. So I do not see this as any real reason to prefer D2D over
> OpenGL.

Well I see what you mean, the engines handle this - so no advantage here.

>  Also, Win7 sometimes is very quirky with other graphics APIs (such as
>> fullscreen mode issues, palette issues, and most commonly - Aero issues. D2D
>> is brand new and is likely to be a main component of all future Microsoft
>> OSes for the next few years so IMHO it's worth it.
>>

> Well I doubt Win7 is that quirky about OpenGL though. Especially since we
> would only use true/hi color OpenGL modes anyway (we actually do not even
> use palette modes in the SDL backend).

It is quirky on Win7 when it comes to Aero afaik. BUT that's something that
SDL can work out really.

> D2D being brand new makes it sound to me as if one would rather like to
> wait till things settled a bit about it, you never know when the API is
> really stable ;-)

Well I usually like to be ready before and update as the API updates.
Obviosuly I agree - it only becomes really stable a few iterations in (e.g.
Direct3D - although that still changes).

Anyway as I said if you think it is cool, well give it a try. Whether we can
> integrate it into ScummVM later on can only be really judged after we see
> some source code etc. Personally I have no real objections against it,
> others in our team could have different opinions though.

 Well you're probably right. If SDL does the job on Win7 - why bother? :)