[Scummvm-devel] Release 1.1.1 status

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun May 9 21:05:28 CEST 2010

Hi folks,

after long thought on this, I decided to remove all pre-1.0.0rc1 download links from our downloads page (note that the binaries are of course still available).

My reasons: First off, I am not really happy with anybody using ancient ScummVM versions. If people must / choose to, it's their business, but directing our users consciously to ancient ScummVM versions is hard on me. OK, if there really *really* is no good alternative to an old version in order to support an active system, so be it... but looking closer, this is IMO not the case:

* I don't think anybody really needs binaries for old Debian / Ubuntu / Mandriva / Fedora versions, people can either upgrade to a newer distro, or easily compile a recent ScummVM from scratch. If they can't do either, then I wonder why they are using such an old version in the first place -- all stories I can come up for why one would run an outdated distro invariably end up being of a kind where it makes no sense to use ScummVM either. If you think I am missing something, please enlighten me :).

* The ancient WinCE ports are for smart phones which are hardly used by anybody anymore; I don't think the few people who still have those really benefit from this. Maybe I am wrong, but I think it's worth waiting for the outcry of a single actual user... :)

* The PalmOS port is dead, and so is PalmOS...

* The Opie package has not been updated since 0.11.1 and I don't see why. Aquadran, is this port abandoned? You are listed as maintainer for it on our Wiki: <http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Familiar>. Anyway, Opie seems to share the same fate as ancient WinCE devices and PalmOS.

Now, all in all, if people think this was a big mistake, I won't complain if the links to ancient downloads are re-instantiated -- but then I'd really prefer them to be either on a separate page; or at least ad a huge disclaimer stating something like "use these at your own risk, kittens might die! And don't report bugs for these old versions".