[Scummvm-devel] Adding splashscreen to ScummVM

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Thu May 20 17:18:46 CEST 2010

On 20 May 2010 17:58, Willem Jan Palenstijn <wjp at usecode.org> wrote:
> Do we really have a visibility problem that needs to be addressed?
Unfortunately we do. Like recent story with DotEmu.com when they
silently shipped our binaries as part of their games but gave
absolutely no visibility to us. Of course there were direct GPL
violations, but at least it would be easier to spot if there was a
splash.

> I'm guessing "Illegal borrowings" would already have to strip out things like
> the in-game About dialog, so stripping out a splash screen as well won't be
> much extra deterrence, I think.
Skipping display will clearly show bad intentions. Easier to go to the
court. Simply as that. And also that is a definite source code
modification, so the source changes will have to be published.

> Also, a large part of the point of specifying a target on the command line is
> to speed up launching the game, while a splash screen would only slow it down.
> (And the slow-down it causes would possibly be even greater when running in
> debuggers like valgrind.) I don't know the length of the one in dosbox, but
> it's definitely long enough to annoy me (and so I have it disabled in my local
> copy).
In dosbox it is about same 0.6secs, and I believe that developers are
proficient enough to disable it anytime, but anyone who is going to
grab the sources, compile and distribute will either modify the
sources or we will get the visibility which also users can report.

Eugene