[Scummvm-devel] AGI forums

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Nov 11 20:13:02 CET 2010

Am 09.11.2010 um 18:05 schrieb Torbjörn Andersson:

> On 2010-11-09 13:29, Max Horn wrote:
>
>> It's far too easy for spammers to register on the board, and
>> difficult to consistently flag&  ban spammers (it can be done, but
>> e.g. Eugene and me apparently did it differently for some time).
>
> We do seem to have a pretty simple registration form. On the other hand,
> to register on the AGS forums, you have to answer 15 multiple-choice
> questions, which was pretty annoying. :-)

Actually, many spammers today are not bots, but humans, so there will always be spammers leaking through. We can maybe do a few things to make it a bit harder for them, but at some point, it starts getting just too difficult for regular users to join. *sigh*

BTW, some interesting short articles on forum spamming, which also explains why there are so many strange spam messages that don't seem to contain bad stuff (no links, no ads), but are still nonsense:
 <http://www.phpbbdoctor.com/blog/category/phpbb/anti-spam/>

And here is an overview of some of the improvements phpBB3 has over 2:
  <http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/?from=submenu>

Here is a list of MODs that are one way or another supplying anti-spam techniques:
  <http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/modifications/anti-spam-9>

As an example, look at
  <http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/anti_spam_acp/>
to quote:
"Anti-Spam ACP adds many powerful anti-spam features to your forum such as an IP Search tool, Spam Word list, control over profile fields, flagging suspicious users (for logging their actions), and an easy one click ban link from their profile which clears out their profile and posts."

Sounds nice to me :). Of course one might want to test this... a test install of a phpBB3 board wouldn't be difficult, anyway.

Bye,