[Scummvm-devel] Fan translated versions of games

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Wed Nov 24 18:11:02 CET 2010

On 11/24/2010 10:34 AM, Max Horn wrote:

> Yet this strict point of view may not be fully appropriate for other engines. Maybe for a certain language there is one definite and well-known fan-made translation which is clearly legal, and then adding a detection entry makes life easier for everybody. Plus, for some engines a "(near) perfect" fallback detection may not be achievable. For some engines, it may even be necessary to add more than detection entries to support fan translations, so in that case, explicit support for a fan translation is the *only* way to make this translation playable for users.
> I think that this is the (well, "a") reason why the Kyra and Saga engine support a few fan translations explicitly.

In case of KYRA that is correct, we can only support them by having a
md5 entry. A fallback detector will probably not be able to detect
translated games, since the translations usually just overwrite the
language files of an already existing version and there is no indicator
what language the data files contain (apart filenames and those stay
untouched).

// Johannes