[Scummvm-devel] Odd problem with FOTAQ

Neil neil at millstone.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 2 02:29:06 CEST 2010

  Hi,

While testing FOTAQ on the DS ahead of the 1.2.0 launch I have come
accross a very annoying crash.  When MP3 audio is in use, if I skip a
cutscene when speech is playing, the game crashes.  The crash occurs a
few frames after you skip the cutscene.  At some point, ScummVM jumps to
a NULL pointer.  I don't have a debugger on the DS so it's very hard to
work out what's happening.

I can reproduce this by pressing Escape (which is mapped to B on the DS)
during the intro when your character says "I'll go upstairs and get Miss
Russel".

Skipping cutscenes when speech isn't playing doesn't cause a problem.
Skipping speech outside of a cutscene doesn't cause any problem either.
The problems also doesn't occur when using uncompressed audio.  The
libmad MP3 audio on the DS port works in other games without problems
and the port seems otherwise stable.

This appears to be a regression since the release of 1.1.1.  Using that
version of the my ScummVM DS port, the problem doesn't occur.  I have
also been unable to reproduce the problem on the Windows daily build.

I'm fairly sure I haven't broken this myself.  Does anyone have any
ideas what the cause could be?  Has there been any changes to the way
MP3 audio is handled that could cause something like this?

I've been trying to debug this for 3 or 4 hours now and have had no luck
finding a cause, so would be very grateful for some tips!

Thanks,

- Neil (agentq)