[Scummvm-devel] [Scummvm-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: scummvm:[53004] scummvm/branches/branch-1-2-0/engines/sci

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Oct 4 13:49:54 CEST 2010

Am 04.10.2010 um 10:11 schrieb Filippos Karapetis:

> I have forgotten about the engine feature freeze like Paul did. To be perfectly honest,
> I'm unsure what to do with this one. It's both a bugfix and a new "feature" (albeit a
> small one). The games are playable without it, but they look odd. If you feel it's more
> of a new feature and it shouldn't be in the stable branch, I'll be happy to revert the
> relevant commits

It most definitely is a new feature, and no doubt about it. Now, I realize that without it, some games are crippled; but that is not something new, as we had the feature freeze actually already some time ago.

We do feature freezes for a good reason: To ensure we get a *stable* binaries across all boards. If we introduce new features now, we have no time to properly regression test them everywhere. As this particular change already introduced at least one regression, I think that's a clear indication it should be reverted from the 1.2 branch.

*Maybe* we can re-introduce this feature for 1.2.1, if it is really the only thing that prevents the affected games from being perfectly supported, *and* if it turns out to be completely stable on trunk.
But I'd like to stress that even that would be an unusual and special exception that should be closely scrutinized.