[Scummvm-devel] Better place for decompilers

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Sun Oct 17 01:20:26 CEST 2010

  On 10/17/2010 12:57 AM, Filippos Karapetis wrote:
> Why not have 2 tools folders, which will both be part of the build
> process? E.g.:
> /scummvm/trunk/tools and
> /scummvm/trunk/devtools (moving all the tools from tools/trunk there)

Which is 100% the opposite of what is sensible, right? I mean the tools
from tools/trunk are not developer tools but user tools, so naming them
devtools is really strange.

> Or just have them all merged in one folder, as suggested? Having tools
> in both /tools/trunk and /trunk/tools is confusing, even if their
> purpose is different. Imho we should have one common path for tools,
> irrespective of how we ultimately split them

So we should have all tools in the main scummvm source dir?

I guess this has its merits, somehow at least, I mean it might be easier
possible to re-use engine code in the tools then. Of course that does
not work right away then either, which might not be easily visible,
which is why I would want to avoid that.

On the other hand we would need to adapt our main build system to
differentiate between user tools and the main scummvm binary/"developer
tools" then, since the former might rely on wxWidgets etc. and allow for
certain language features of C++ we disable in ScummVM. We would need to
take care that only the ScummVM binary is built for certain ports etc. etc.

I am not sure whether all that is worth the effort. I would agree with
Max that renaming scummvm/trunk/tools to scummvm/trunk/devtools (or the
like) seems most sensible for now, since it would avoid the name
similarity between the tools in the main ScummVM source and our tools
module.

// Johannes