[Scummvm-devel] Improving scummvm's mobile experience.

Vladimir Menshakov whoozle at yandex.ru
Sun Oct 17 11:16:55 CEST 2010

Recently tried scummvm on iPad and could say that scummvm sucks. Really. Relative mouse movement, inability to select buttons(!) with single tap, obscure gestures and such. Also iphone port has very weird scaler - chunky and blurry.

It would be great improvement if we implement some sort of engine-to-ui hinting to improve experience at least for mature engines.
Here's approx. plan:
1. Engine reports hotpots to ui and registers actions(show inventory and such). Some engines already have on-screen buttons.
2. Engine reacts on extended actions (maybe reported via the same event system)
3. UI highlights hotspots and ask extended engine interface for a possible actions. Look on BS Director's Cut, we could do the same.
3a. As a positive side effect we could include 'gimme a hint' button on PC which shows hotspots or something. :)
I think it could major move toward for scummvm besides new games addition.