[Scummvm-devel] Broken Sword 2.5 engine

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Oct 20 14:22:19 CEST 2010

Am 20.10.2010 um 12:10 schrieb Eugene Sandulenko:

> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 21:03:54 +1100
> Paul Gilbert <paulfgilbert at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Apologies, I spoke too soon. Whilst the PNG storing in savegames
>> could be refactored to just save and laod the raw pixel data rather
>> than as a full PNG, the engine would still need the PNG library for
>> surfaces, fonts, etc.
>>
>> Whilst in theory we could create an automated process to convert all
>> the PNG files to some other format, I suspect it's going to be easier
>> in the long term to figure out how to cleanly handle having PNG
>> support directly in ScummVM.
> As thought that that issue with libpng on PSP has been resolved. So it
> is not a problem anymore.

But won't it be a problem for building dynamically loadable modules? The sword25 plugin would have to be linked against libpng explicitly, which could be impossible for e.g. Windows and WinCE (if I understand correctly, please correct me if I am wrong).

Hence, we still may have to provide a png loader wrapper in graphics/ to fully support those. Of course as always in a way that minimizes impact on small devices that don't want this (i.e. we'd only build png support in it libpng is detected, and only if sword25 is built, or dynamic plugins support is enabled).