[Scummvm-devel] SDL scaler refactoring

LionsPhil lionsphil at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 14:12:41 CEST 2010

  On 02/09/2010 10:19, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> Note that pretty soon we will be merging this year GSoC task which
> adds heavy refactoring to SDL backend.

Yes; I must apologise to the others who have replied, I've been lurking
while waiting for that to happen since I expect it to move the goalposts
a bit. :)

>> I believe the mouse
>> layer should always be on the same co-ordinate system as one or the
>> other?
> Not necessarily. With current implementation GUI overlay always matches
> window resolution, thus mouse maps 1:1, whereas game overlay has fixed
> resolution specified by the engine, and requires mapping.

My understanding was that there were three co-ordinate spaces in use:
  - Physical (i.e. the one SDL works in)
  - Game
  - Overlay (i.e. the save/load/options menu)

Even for engines like Kyra that use the original game's menu rather than
the skinnable ScummVM one, isn't that still in the Game co-ordinate
space? Is there a case where the Physical mouse events from SDL need to
be mapped to something other than Game or Overlay?

> You may consider doing this in a scaler superclass with a virtual
> method which could be overridden in your StretchToFit class. I.e. the
> main problem is that current scalers cannot handle ratio scales, i.e.
> 1.2x which is used for aspect correction.

Yes, that sounds sensible.

>> So, if you've read through all this, thoughts? :)
> Really good.

Thanks. :)

--
LionsPhil