[Scummvm-devel] mt-32 emu by default?

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Wed Sep 15 14:06:13 CEST 2010

On 09/15/2010 01:42 PM, Willem Jan Palenstijn wrote:

> That MDT_PREFER_MT32 flag has been added to quite a few engines
> in that patch :-(
>
> What should we do? Remove MDT_PREFER_MT32 altogether? An alternative might to
> interpret that flag as "if a _working_ mt-32 (or emu) is present, use that",
> but that might not be feasible. (Any opinion from people more familiar with
> this?)

It might be possible to check whether the MT-32 emulator is usable by
checking for the ROM files. For a real connected MT-32 that's hardly or
rather not possible :-/.

> I think I'd prefer just removing MDT_PREFER_MT32 from all engines.

Same opinion here. Actually I would really say we shouldn't default to
General MIDI either (i.e. remove MDT_PREFER_GM too), since that might
use some device like the "SEQ" (i.e. OSS Sequencer) or TiMidity by
default which might also require special setup and thus leave the user
without any sound by default. I think the Android port (and probably
more small devices based on Linux for example and maybe the iPhone
(can't remember out of my head right now)) suffered from this too.

If we remove both MDT_PREFER_GM and MDT_PREFER_MT32 that should fall
back to AdLib (in case it's supported by the game/engine) by default and
that should be available everywhere. Else it should fall back to the PC
Speaker / PCJr etc. variants.

// Johannes