[Scummvm-devel] Broken Sword 2.5 engine is ready to be merged

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Sun Sep 19 00:28:18 CEST 2010

Hi Team,

The engine is in a pretty good shape now.

There are only few things are known to do:

  - Minor problems with some frames of the protagonist. Those come from
    SWF, and there are bugs in my renderer
  - Slight problems with transparency in some cases. The engine relies
    on it pretty heavy, and I of course have to emulate it by  manual
    mixing of the pixels, and there seem to be incorrect assumption at
    some place
  - Saving/loading is still not fully implemented, it lacks screenshots
    and probably some other features
  - There are stubs here and there, particularly in sound code. It
    requires slight extension to our mixer code (mainly complementary
    functions such as isSoundHanldePaused() )

The game itself is probably even completable. But my current concern is
Lua and C compiler.

Currently Lua is included as part of the package, because the engine
also uses Pluto library for storing the Lua state, and that one
requires Lua version 5.1.3 when current is 5.1.4. Are we OK with
keeping Lua in the tree?

Both Lua and Pluto are C programs (not C++), and that requires C
compiler. It builds well with gcc on Linux, but may not build on other
platforms. If we agree to keep Lua in place, then the simplest way
would be to rename .c to .cpp and fix type conversions. Alternative is
to add C compiler detection to configure. I need your opinion on this
one too.

So, let's discuss.

Eugene