[Scummvm-devel] GOG.com affiliate program vs dotemu.com

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Sat Sep 25 23:36:03 CEST 2010

Hi Team,

As you may saw, I removed GOG.com links from our sites once they
announced themselves as dead (I know, there is one leftover at the
bottom of scummvm.org yet).

Now it is appeared to be a PR stunt, thus there is a potential for the
links to be readded. Still there is another factor which I need your
opinion on.

GOG.com stopped to donate any money since December (their last transfer
was in fact in February, but the sum implies that it is just for one
month, and previous transfer was marked as for November). That is,
basically we're getting nothing from the program for the last 9 months,
while giving them fair amount of sales.

Not that we're for money, we have more than we spend, but there is a
question of honest and open relationships. The guys just keep ignoring
our mails.

So, what do you think, should we readd the links?

Also there is another offer, now from dotemu.com, a similar service
offering DRM-free games, sometimes with use of ScummVM. They offer us
also an affiliation program in exchange of linking to them.

Should we do that? Are there any opinions?

Currently we use money for games (let me remind you that every team
member is entitled to request buying any games or hardware which will be
used for ScummVM development), renewing and purchasing IDA and Hex-Rays
licenses, and also during last 2 years we were sending one extra
attendee to GSoC Mentor Summit. Again, every team member is free to
request books from us.

Thus, I need your opinions.

Eugene