[Scummvm-devel] WebOS Port: The next steps

Klaus Reimer k at ailis.de
Thu Apr 14 14:45:39 CEST 2011

On 04/14/2011 01:29 PM, Max Horn wrote:
> These don't seem mutually exclusive, are they?

Sure, they can be combined.

> from my point of view, it would be best to combine 1 and 3: Namely,
> let's add a WebOS toolchain to our buildbot, then we can provide
> daily builds from there (assuming you have a simple build rule that
> generates an .ipk).

There is: "make webosrelease". But currently this only triggers the
creation of the IPK, not the build of scummvm. So this must be done
before calling "make webosrelease". After this there is an IPK file in
the root directory.

> that many companies want to publish stuff (and the people behind
> these app stores *want* companies to publish stuff), they typically
> all support a variation of this concept... No idea about HP/Palm,
> though.

Palm doesn't support "teams" yet. I asked them for their opinion about
shared accounts and they don't like it. But they see the need for apps
maintained by a group instead of a single developer and and may come up
with something in the future. Here is the full answer from Palm:

https://developer.palm.com/distribution/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=12730

So what do we do? Wait until Palm comes up with something? No idea how
long this takes (or if it happens at all).

> <https://developer.palm.com/content/resources/distribute/developing_and_distributing_with_hp/developer_program_details.html>
> that there are special "open source accounts",

No, that's outdated information. In the beginning full-featured
developer accounts were not free. You had to pay some annual fees. But
Open Source developers could create an Open Source account for free
which was limited to distributing Open Source apps. This has changed.
Today normal developer accounts are completely free and Open Source
accounts like mine were converted to normal developer accounts.

> I think it's a bit sad / silly that they put up such restrictions,
> but if that's how it is, we probably are forced to rely on such a
> workaround. I am a bit concerned, though, that this will lead to
> serious user confusion ... ./

I see your point but the only idea I can come up with is adding more
zeroes ;-)  1.3.1000034.

--
Bye, K <http://www.ailis.de/~k/>
[A735 47EC D87B 1F15 C1E9 53D3 AA03 6173 A723 E391]