[Scummvm-devel] Touchscreen input methods

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Tue Apr 19 13:49:47 CEST 2011

On 04/19/2011 10:24 AM, Paul Gilbert wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Klaus Reimer <k at ailis.de
> <mailto:k at ailis.de>> wrote:
>
>     So what about a new select box in the "Misc" options tab labeled
>     "Input
>     method". Possible values:
>
>     * Mouse (For using a real mouse. Can even be useful on an embedded
>     device when a bluetooth mouse is connected).
>     * Direct Touchscreen (Works like "Mouse" but adds some touchscreen
>     specific features like long-clicks for emulating right mouse button).
>     * Touchpad Touchscreen
>

> This would actually work in well with a discussion I was having with
> Strangerke about the Ringworld game last night - there's one arcade
> sequence in the game of navigating a sunflower field. On the PC, it
> uses the position of the mouse on-screen to indicate the direction to
> turn in. But for PDA/Touchscreen devices it might not be as obvious
> that users would have to hold the stylus on the screen to change
> direction, so I was thinking of adding an enhancement that would
> detect if the game was running on such a device, and add some explicit
> turning buttons on-screen.

I am not sure what the real preferred input style on touchscreens is,
but at least when I played Prince of Persia Retro (or whatever it was
called) on my brother's iPhone I was really annoyed by the button input
style. I personally would have liked it much better when I could just
swipe around the screen to get the Prince moving. Of course I am not
sure how that action scene looks like in TsAGE, but I guess that using
buttons for input on a touchscreen is rather annoying too.

// Johannes