[Scummvm-devel] Evaluating GitHub issues tracker

Alex Bevilacqua alexbevi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 23:24:31 CEST 2011

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Johannes Schickel <lordhoto at scummvm.org>wrote:

> On 04/23/2011 12:43 PM, Alex Bevilacqua wrote:
> > This might be a good opportunity to look into a separate issue
> > tracking solution entirely that isn't tied to a specific source
> > control solution (github or sourceforge). I mentioned Redmine in the
> > past simply because I've been using it for a couple years now and find
> > it extremely versatile, but there are others that may fit the bill
> > (Trac, Assembla, Lighthouse, Mantis).
>
> In fact we had several discussions about it in the past, but I never saw
> any real outcome.
>
> I furthermore do not see how exactly the sf.net tracker is tied to a
> "source control solution". Maybe you care to explain that a little bit
> to me? Thanks in advance. In fact I really liked the fact that you can
> close issues via commit messages in github and also have the issues get
> a comment with a link to the commit which closed it, that seemed so much
> nicer than always doing that on your own.

By "tied to a source control solution", I was simply talking about it being
hosted by sf.net (or github if you go in that direction). By hosting your
own, it could be a "ScummVM"-specific solution and even be made available as
a subdomain (tracker.scummvm.org?). That's all :)

Users may not want to have to register with github or sourceforge simply to
register a defect. As an added bonus, you could probably even import the
forum accounts to the issue tracker so exiting users don't have to register
again (I don't actually know how phpBB tracks passwords, so this may not be
a viable option, but it's an idea ...)

> The sf.net tracker might have gotten a bit worse over the years, but it
> still seems *ok* to me. At least we can continue to use it without any
> real effort and I for one do not see too much reason to switch right now
> either.
>

> > Some are hosted, some you host yourself (which would be preferable as
> > you have more control over the branding).
> >

> I am not sure whether we have anyone willing to maintain a tracker
> system for us, I guess not too many people are interested in always
> looking into integrating security patch etc. ;-). So I am not sure
> whether hosting it ourselves really is an option.

I agree with you on that. I'd be willing to set it up, but that doesn't
guarantee I'd be around forever so hosted probably is the best way to go,
but by hosting it yourself you have supreme control over layout, and even
getting your own functionality into it (for example, generating the list of
issues that need to be addressed for the next release ...)

Since I'd brought this up before, figured since the discussion was open
again, I'd throw my two cents in again. That's all :)

Alex